In November 1952, Rev. Clarence Chambers a Southern Baptist Missionary supported by the Monterey Southern Baptist Association began laying the groundwork for our church. He helped organize the church in January 1953, with Rev. William Whicker serving as the first pastor.
It officially became First Baptist Church on February 22, 1953. As membership increased, the congregation moved its meeting location to the Seventh Day Adventist Church on Pearl Street. There were eleven charter members.
In March of 1957, the church called Rev. Maurice Marrow as pastor. He and the congregation went before the King City Planning Commission numerous times desiring to purchase four acres of land for a new church building. They viewed several different sites. After overwhelming opposition from property owners in the area, they were successful in acquiring two acres at the corner of Russ and King Streets in July 1959. The purchase was completed and construction took place during the next two years. The church building was a great blessing to the congregation, and services began in 1961. This is still the site of our church today.
Rev. Lewis Rice was called as pastor in March 1979. During the first four years of his pastorate, $31,000.00 was raised for the new fellowship hall, Sunday School office, and three classrooms, which were built with donated labor. Jim Bowen and Lionel Gonzalez were co-chairmen for the construction of the building. It was completed in June 1984 debt-free.